In a world where everyone is a do-it-yourselfer you may ask why you should even bother booking with a Travel Advisor when you can “just go online and book”…here’s my answer:
- WE SAVE YOU TIME! Have you ever booked your own trip before? If so, didn’t it take you forever to get all of the details right and you still questioned if you made the right choice? To decide on hotel, best flights with the most reasonable price, to explore site-seeing options, to figure out how you are getting to and from the hotel once you arrive at the destination…you get my point. We do all of that for you. With one phone call we can have a custom itinerary sent out to you within a few hours that checks all of your boxes.
- HAKUNA MATATA! (Can you tell I just saw The Lion King this past weekend?) We take the stress and worry out of vacations. You’ve always got us in your corner advocating on your behalf if anything were to go wrong. Would you rather call that online booking site you booked through, and wait on hold while being passed around for three hours by representatives that don’t care, or call me up and then not worry because you know I’m handling it?
- YOU GET THE BEST VALUE! We have access to a variety of resources to make sure you are getting the best bang for your buck. We also know which destinations and resorts are going to give you the best experience within your budget. In addition, a lot of advisors, including myself, do not charge a fee. You’ll end up paying the same price (sometimes less!) if you were to book on your own, but you’re getting the help of an expert for free!
- THE EXTRA PERKS! I have developed relationships and partnerships with resorts over the years and this gains my clients special amenities. I gift massages, upgrades, bottles of wine, etc. when I can. Most times I am also able to offer a payment plan for your trip. These are all things you typically would not get when booking yourself online.
- WE PREPARE YOU FOR YOUR TRIP! It’s important to me to set my clients up for a successful trip. For example, most people don’t know that your medical coverage here in the US will not be accepted in other countries- this is why I recommend travel insurance to all of my clients. I am just a quick phone call or email away when questions arise. I send my clients a packing and travel tips list, good to knows about the destination and resort, and their official travel documents along with clear directions on how to find their airport transportation upon arrival at their destination. I make sure they have all of the information needed to ensure they have a great trip!
The other thing to remember is that you are helping a small business, maybe even your friend or family member, support themselves. This is my profession and how I make money. If folks don’t book with me, I don’t make any money. When you book with those online booking sites you are supporting a large corporation- wouldn’t you rather support someone you know- especially when you’re paying the same price either way?
When you’re ready to start planning your next vacation I hope to hear from you! ♥
So you got engaged?! Congratulations! Now comes the hard part, deciding where to get married. Maybe you don’t want to get married at home, maybe you’ve always envisioned getting married somewhere exotic with your toes in the sand. If so, awesome! You’ve come to the right place! After helping so many couples over the years, and planning my own destination wedding, I thought it would be helpful to compile a list of considerations that I think every couple should go over before deciding on a Destination Wedding.
Advantages of a Destination Wedding:
- It’s cost effective! This is one of the factors I think couples love the most, because who doesn’t love to save money? Most couples that are newly engaged don’t have a large nest egg built up yet, but they don’t want to sacrifice a beautiful wedding. Then a Destination Wedding is the way to go! The average destination wedding is much less expensive than the average wedding in the United States. You get a whole lot more bang for your buck at an all-inclusive resort. Also, I know which resorts offer the most benefits for couples and their guests.
- You will actually remember your big day and get to enjoy it! Have you ever heard anyone say they barely remember their wedding day? I have talked to so many couples that say what they remember the most about their wedding day is that they never got to sit down to eat. That’s awful! With a destination wedding you have an onsite wedding team who is handling all of the details so you don’t need to stress about anything! They will make sure the day goes seamlessly so you guys get to enjoy every minute and not stress!
- You get to spend not just one day celebrating with the people you love the most, but multiple days, and hello, you are in PARADISE! For my wedding week, we spent a day at the beach with all of our guests, I went horseback riding through the jungle to a cenote with the girls, my husband went deep sea fishing with the guys, we would all go out to eat together, and go to the bars together to go dancing…it was SO MUCH FUN!
- For those couples with a huge guest list, having a destination wedding helps to reduce that guest list size. This is great for couples who have large families, but don’t have the budget to accommodate and don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings.
- You receive a wedding planner from the resort included in your wedding package that you select at no extra cost. He or she, along with my help, will take you through the planning process step by step. The resorts that I recommend specialize in Destination Weddings so their wedding departments really know what they are doing and will ensure that your wedding day turns out beautifully.
- You can extend your stay to save on flight costs and have your honeymoon in the same destination. This could be at the same resort, or we could move you over to another resort for more privacy and/or an adults only resort if you got married at a family friendly.
- You will likely hear from your guests that it is the best wedding they have ever been to for years to come! My guests still tell me that our wedding was the best they have ever been to, with the best food too!
- Your wedding photos are going to knock everyone’s socks off! Picture the sun setting and the gorgeous blue ocean in the background (see some of my wedding photos in the Riviera Maya, MX below).
Things to consider:
- Planning a destination wedding means you can’t just drive over to the venue on a Saturday to check it out. This can be scary, I get it. Photoshop is not always your friend, and online reviews can’t always be trusted, BUT I am here to help you through the process and share my knowledge. I’ve been to these resorts, I know the planners at the resorts, and I know all of the steps that go into planning a Destination Wedding. Plus my services are absolutely free for you. I get a referral from the resort once travel is complete and this in no way affects your cost, nor your guest’s costs.
- Some guests may not be able to attend due to costs or schedule. You have to be OK with this when deciding to have a Destination Wedding. I went through this with my own wedding, and while it hurt, and I was sad, I knew ahead of time that it’s part of having a Destination Wedding.
- To legally get married in a destination outside of the U.S. some countries require extra steps such as a blood test and/or being at the resort several business days ahead of time. This sounds scary, but it’s actually fairly easy and the resorts always use a professional. If you don’t want to worry about the extra steps then you can always opt into having a symbolic ceremony that looks like a legal ceremony. A lot of the couples I assist go this route. They will have their legal ceremony in the states either before or after their destination wedding. My husband and I did. Being fun loving Las Vegans, my husband and I had our legal ceremony in a pink Cadillac at the drive-through (see the picture below). It was an experience I will never forget!
I am sure there are more that could be added to this list, but these are what I encounter the most. I have zero regrets having a destination wedding and not a single one of my couples has ever told me that they regret it either. Talk to your fiance, make a list of questions/concerns, and then reach out to me so we can talk about if a destination wedding is right for you.